The training for fire chief candidates lasts 2 years. Recruitment takes place with an appointment to a civil servant relationship for revocation. The career training begins with the basic course on the first working day in April. The advertisement takes place in August for the coming training year.
Recruitment requirements according to ThürFwLAPO are:
- the 32nd year of life has not yet been reached on the day of recruitment,
- at least a secondary school diploma,
- successful completion of a vocational training suitable for the fire service,
- personal suitability for appointment as a civil servant on a revocable basis,
- no health restrictions with regard to work in a professional fire brigade,
- Possession of a Class B driver's license (Class C is desirable),
- pleasure and skill in dealing with technology as well as
- reliability, sense of responsibility and ability to work in a team.
A completed training as an emergency paramedic, paramedic or emergency medical technician as well as knowledge from working in a volunteer fire department are an advantage, but not a requirement.
Structure of the training
- Basic course
- Training to become a paramedic
- Practical training in the fire service
- Courses at the Thuringian State Fire Brigade and Disaster School Bad Köstritz (TLFKS)
- Final course with career examination at the TLFKS
In principle, applications can only be considered after a public vacancy has been advertised. The vacancies for fire chief candidates are advertised on a rotational basis from the beginning of August to mid-September. You will find the current advertisement in this period in our job exchange as well as in the local daily press.
Your application documents consist of:
- Letter of application,
- Curriculum vitae in table form,
- Copy of school leaving certificate,
- copy of the certificate of vocational training (skilled worker's or journeyman's certificate),
- Copy of driver's license,
- if applicable, copies of professional recognition as a paramedic or proof of training as an emergency medical technician, and
- If applicable, copies of course certificates from the volunteer fire department (promotion certificates are not necessary).
Send these to:
Municipality of Jena
Personnel Development Team
At the Anger 15
An application by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org is also possible.
Suitability selection procedure
After the closing date for applications, the Personnel Department will issue an invitation to the aptitude selection procedure. The following modules must be passed successfully:
- Theory test
- Sports test
- Practical test
- Swimming test
- Personality test
- Job interview
You can find more information about the selection process on the website of the fire department Jena. There you can download the handbook Sporttest for preparation. In the run-up to the test we recommend a targeted preparation.